I get asked a lot about hair, which is funny because I don’t really know much about hair. Other than how not to wash it. When I told the Instagram crowd I’d sometimes go a week without washing my hair, some minds were blown. Now, let’s be clear: not washing my hair does not mean not showering. I shower daily….most days. I mean, if I go to Orangetheory, then I’m for sure showering. I used to be an everyday-hair-washer until my wonderful stylist Krystal told me that was a major no-no. She told me, after working out, to “dry the sweat in.” I was disgusted, but against my better judgment, tried it and IT WORKED.
I’m going to list the steps I go through to achieve my not-washed hair.
- Go workout, get sweaty. I always use the non-creasing hair ties too. My favs are Invisibobble. They hold my super thick hair and stay put, but don’t leave marks.
- After working out, and as soon as I get to my car, I take my hair down. It starts the drying process for me on the way home from the gym.
- When I get home I blow dry my sweat-wet hair until dry. I usually apply my dry shampoo at this time. I’ll section my hair off and just spray the roots. My fav dry shampoo is Living Proof, and I’ve tried them all. Seriously. Oh, and don’t brush through the dry shampoo.
- Put your hair up on top of your head and cover with a shower cap (or whatever works for you). My current system consists of hair on my head and a headband wrapped around.
- After I’ve showered I fluff my hair with my fingers, then brush and style as normal.
I can usually get my hair to last about 4-5 days using all the above steps. I will say it took about a week or 2 for my hair to get used to this. When I first started trying this out there were some greasy days. This is where dry shampoo will be a good friend. Power through those days and wear your hair up, or figure out what works best for you. I’m linking all my favorite hair products below. I promise that you too can be a non-hair-washer like me.